Cirque Du Soleil took a huge risk.

Cirque Du Soleil has wowed over 30 million people worldwide with their breathtaking performances. It is the world’s fastest growing circus and has made its founder Guy Lalibert’e a billionaire.

The story of Guy Lalibert’e is as fascinating as one of his Cirque’s show. He was born in Quebec City, Canada. At the age of 16 Guy had decided to pursue his passion in performing arts. By 18th Guy had left home and hitchhike across Europe working as a street performer. During that time Guy had spend nights at public benches and met many other street performers along the way. He also learned many tricks such as the art of fire-breathing and stilt-walking.

So how does a bunch of unemployed street performer kids turn into the Cirque Du Soleil that we know?

In 1984 when Guy was 24th he got his first big break, he landed a contract to stage a street show for Quebec’s 450th anniversary celebration. It was a rough start, Guy said, “We had every problem starting a big top could have. The tent fell down on the first day. We had problems getting people into the shows. It was only with the courage and arrogance of youth that we survived.”

Three years gone by Cirque Du Soleil was doing well. But Guy Lalibert’e wanted more… so in 1987 Guy took a huge gamble. He risked everything to take his circus to the Los Angeles art festival. The cost for him and his Cirque to make the trip to Los Angeles would clean out his company’s entire cash reserve. Guy said, ““I bet everything on that one night,” he recalled. If we failed, there was no cash for gas to come home.”

Well, I am sure that you don’t need me to tell you the rest, almost everyone in America have seen or heard of Cirque Du Soleil. However, not every know about Guy Lalibert’e’s triumphant story.

If Guy Lalibert’e did wait until he has money to get home, the result might have been different. That is what it means to take “Imperfect Action!”

Just find a way to get there first…worry about come home after! Look where it has taken Guy Lalibert’e.

Other related post by Giovanna How to get what you want out of life?

What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?

jacques says: 18 December 2008 - 8:02 pm

He has an amazing story. I live about 3 hours from Quebec City and 5 hours from Montreal. He is a success story for all of Canada. I wish I could tell him to stop smoking. ( He’s a chain smoker). He was willing to follow his dream and take the necessary risks.

Craig Garcia says: 18 December 2008 - 11:57 pm

Great Blog Post Giovanna. What an amaxzing story this man Guy Lalibert’e has…I love how he got arrested, then got out, then gathered enough money and convinced so many people to leave their countyr, their families and their lives to go to the USA with no guarantee of anything. Just a belief and a dream to make it. The key factor I see on the success of this circus is when they burned the ships! That’s an old expression when the European settlers came to the US, they burnt their ships, so they had no way to return to Europe, therefor forcing them to make it and survive….Burning the ships… Maybe that will be a good blog post one day…LOL

Giovanna Garcia says: 19 December 2008 - 12:13 am

Hi Jacques

Yes, Cirque Soleil is the second biggest export from Quebec, Canada (#1 being Celine Dion)
I think if we all are willing to follow our dream and take the necessary risk like he did, we can all be so much more :-)

Thanks for your comment, I look forward to reading more from you.

Giovanna Garcia says: 19 December 2008 - 12:17 am

Hi Craig

Guy Lalibert’e is amazing. That is what a leader does, convinced people to follow you on nothing but a dream or a belief. That is funny how you said about he burned their ship. I was thinking that very same thing when I was write this post… :-)

Thank you for your comment and added more to this post. That is fantastic!
Stop by anytime :-)

Dan says: 20 December 2008 - 5:22 am

Your absolutely correct - those types of decisions are things that would make or break you. I don’t know if I would have been able to take such a huge leap as to deplete my cash reserve o such a risk - but maybe this is why I’m not a billionaire and he is :P

Nancy M Meer says: 20 December 2008 - 2:16 pm

Thanks for sharing the amazing story of Guy’s life. He was willing to take such great risks in pursuit of his dreams which were very successful and now everyone has heard of Cirque Du Soleil

Giovanna Garcia says: 20 December 2008 - 5:37 pm

Hi Dan

Sometime in life the greater the risk, the greater the reward.
Thanks for your comment, I hope to see you again soon :-)

Giovanna Garcia says: 20 December 2008 - 5:56 pm

Hi Nancy

Yeah, just think if he didn’t take that risk; the world may never know Cirque Du Soleil.
Thanks for your comment, it is great to see you.

Imperfect Action is better No Action