You can make a difference!

Have you ever thought about making a difference?

Ever since I did my blog post for Today is Human Rights Day, I discovered that I really wish to make a difference for young girls in China. I was speaking to someone about this just the other day, and she said, “Yeah, when I was your age I wish to help girls in Thailand – my country, but then I came to realized that there are just too many girls in Thailand and I cannot make a difference…”

So I told her the following story:

Once upon a time, there was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work.

One day, as he was walking along the shore, he looked down the beach and saw a human figure moving like a dancer. He smiled to himself at the thought of someone who would dance to the day, and so, he walked faster to catch up.

As he got closer, he noticed that the figure was that of a young man, and that what he was doing was not dancing at all. The young man was reaching down to the shore, picking up small objects, and throwing them into the ocean.

He came closer still and called out “Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?”

The young man paused, looked up, and replied “Throwing starfish into the ocean.”

“I must ask, then, why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?” asked the somewhat startled wise man.

To this, the young man replied, “The sun is up and the tide is going out. If I don’t throw them in, they’ll die.”

Upon hearing this, the wise man commented, “But, young man, do you not realize that there are miles and miles of beach and there are starfish all along every mile? You can’t possibly make a difference!”

At this, the young man bent down, picked up yet another starfish, and threw it into the ocean. As it met the water, he said, “It made a difference for that one.”

From the book of “The start thrower” By Loren Eiseley.

I believe that I can start to make a difference for one girl at a time!  Everyone can make a difference to help one person at a time.

What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?

Take an Action of Kindness.

Evelyn Lim says: 16 January 2009 - 10:04 pm

The story is a great reminder to me that every little action I do counts!! Thanks for featuring it!!

Global Patriot says: 16 January 2009 - 10:37 pm

That’s a very inspiring story. Too many people feel that if they can’t solve the problem then they will do nothing at all. The beauty of doing what you can, no matter how small, is that you not only do make a difference, but you also have the opportunity to inspire others. Then you might have a hundred boys walking the beach each day saving starfish!

Meg says: 17 January 2009 - 1:31 am

This is such a fantastic story. Its so easy to get overwhelmed with the enormity of a problem that we forget that the only way to make a difference is to take action. The only way we can not make a difference is if we sit back and do nothing!

Lance says: 17 January 2009 - 2:29 am

I love this story! A great reminder that we all can make a difference - and each small step we do really does make a difference! I wish you well in your efforts to make a difference for girls in China. Even helping just one person is to have made a real difference. What a wonderful thing to do!

Bruno LoGreco says: 17 January 2009 - 3:20 am

Great story, Giovanna!
You are inspirational to many and will continue to inspire many including the girls from China. I also want to help children from around the world, but I want to start in my backyard, helping those less fortunate within my community. I have soft spot for creative children whose talents are not recognized in the traditional school system and as a result they drop out.

Have an excellent weekend!

Giovanna Garcia says: 17 January 2009 - 6:26 am

Hi Everlyn

We all can make a differnece in our own way, and it doesn’t matter how big or small. All we have to do is to get started.

Thank you for your comment and great to see you :-)

Giovanna Garcia says: 17 January 2009 - 6:38 am

Hi Global Patriot - Mark

You are right sometime people think that if they can’t not make it perfect, then there is no point of doing it. And my feeling is that Imperfect Action is better than No Action. So what I did not have the perfect remedy to fix the entire issues but I help whatever I can do. And like you said - we could inspire others by us taking action!

Thanks for your comment, you have added value to this post.

Giovanna Garcia says: 17 January 2009 - 6:45 am

Hi Lance

Thanks for the well wishes. I am going to do my part to helping the girls in china, and one girls at a time :-)

Thanks for your comment and your support.

Giovanna Garcia says: 17 January 2009 - 6:51 am

Hi Bruno

Creative children is a group that really needs help, our school system is not setup to be support to these children’s gift and the system crush them. The school tries to make them into everybody else. Good luck on your jounrey to helping these children, and please let me know how I can help?

Giovanna Garcia says: 17 January 2009 - 6:53 am

Hi Meg

I can see that we are like minded people :-) You nailed it right on the head, “The only way to make a difference is to take action. The only way we can not make a difference is if we sit back and do nothing!”

Thank You for your comment, and you have added more value to this post :-)

Henie says: 17 January 2009 - 8:10 am

Giovanna…yet another insightful and inspirational share! Thank you!

“Yet but a single smile brightens another heart!” ~Henie~

Giovanna Garcia says: 17 January 2009 - 9:34 pm

Thanks You for your comment. I am glad this post inspire you :-)

A smile can do magic!

Hilary says: 18 January 2009 - 4:16 pm

Hi Gio .. the ocean needs its stars and the beach needs its humans .. all alive, well and flourishing …

all great projects start with the power of one .. & many grow and grow

Let’s all do a kindness for another .. I’ve just bought a card for my Tunisian taxi driver, who collects his new wife this week, to begin their extraordinary journey of hope & freedom here in America, to wish them longevity and much happiness in their future .. he’s such a nice person .. America is blessed to have them. Hilary

Giovanna Garcia says: 18 January 2009 - 5:24 pm

You are just the sweeties soul! You are the Star! Not many people would take such care, and spend time to get a card for their taxi driver. He is blessed to have met you.

We are all blessed to know you:-D

Amelia Johnson says: 19 January 2009 - 12:07 pm

Hi, Gio,

In my community, I see grandmothers raising their grandchildren due to addictions. These women tend to blame themselves and feel they are not worthy of raising the grandchildren. They need our support also. I am happy to know that I am able and willing to give it, as are others. Thank you for the continued inspiration!

Amelia
from Your Pets View

Giovanna Garcia says: 19 January 2009 - 1:59 pm

Hi Amelia

That is fantastic! You do a little bit, I do a little bit. Everyone just do a little bit… together we have do A LOT!
Each and everyone of us do make a difference.

Thanks for your comment, keep doing your work :-)

Emma says: 20 January 2009 - 6:41 am

It’s very easy to lose sight of the fact that it’s all about individuals, especially when you use such inclusive terms such as “girls in Thailand”. What I find helpful, and I’m certainly not perfect at it, is thinking of myself as the person in need of help: what would I have wanted? Often, reservation just disappears. The greater picture kind of fades when you’re emoting about the situation yourself.

Giovanna Garcia says: 20 January 2009 - 10:13 am

Hi Emma

I like what you said, “What would I have wanted?” That is a great way to get started, then we can always look at the list of ‘wants’ and see which one I can do now!

Thanks for your wisdom :-)

preeti says: 25 February 2009 - 10:29 pm

Hi
I do agree and experience, that life does not take anything from us it keeps giving us back.
So will stasrt giving as n when i can,every moment without any feeling of ego that i did so.
Thanks

Giovanna Garcia says: 26 February 2009 - 10:49 am

Hi Preeti
Thank you for your comment and sharing you wisdom here with us. I enjoy reading what you wrote.
Joan and Harold they sound like wonderful people, I always enjoy listen to older people tell stories, they just have so much wisdom in them.
Thanks for sharing.

You are the Pencil. | Imperfect Action says: 7 March 2009 - 12:44 am

[...] You can make a difference! Share and Enjoy: [...]

Be Good, Do Good. | Imperfect Action says: 10 April 2009 - 1:47 pm

[...] Garcia Imperfect Action is better than No Action Other related post by Giovanna You can make a difference! Two weeks to live… Share and [...]