A true story of recovery and comeback; proofs that miracle do happen.

In 2004 Brian Boyle was a high school graduate, like most young man his age. Brian has goals, his 3 goals were to go to college, swim on the team, and compete in an ironman triathlon one day.  A month after graduation, on his way home from swimming practice. Brian was involved in a near fatal car accident with a dump truck.

In a blink of an eye Brian’s heart was ripped across his chest, his ribs/clavicle/pelvis were shattered. His lungs collapsed, his kidneys and liver failed. He lost his spleen and gallbladder and lost 60% of his blood, severe nerve damage to his left shoulder. Brian was in a coma, on life support for over two months and he died eight times while he was in the intensive care unit.

No one knows if Brian would walk again due to all the extreme injuries and his shattered pelvis. His future did not look promising. Just like his body, his dreams were shattered. But, Brian didn’t give up!

After the coma, Brian underwent 14 operations, 36 blood transfusions, 13 plasma treatments, he lost a total of 100 pounds and he went to rehabilitation center; where he learn how to talk, eat, walk, shower, and live independently again.

After that agonizing experience, Brian spends a few months in a wheelchair. Brian began to take baby steps to walk on his own. It was a miracle that he could walk again, but Brian wanted to prove the doctors wrong and not only walk, but RUN! After he accomplished that, he wanted to get back in the pool again. After a few lung tests, Brian was able to go in the pool a little bit each week.

After a few months of swimming with his training partner, Brian decided that he was not going to let his injuries stop him from living his dream. Six months after that Brian went to St. Mary’s College where he joined the swim team. And in 2007 Brian Boyle competed in his first Ironman World Championship.

Brian Boyle’s story is about recovery and comeback; he proofs that miracle do happen. Never give up and trust that you can do anything!

Music of Opportune and the sound of potential!

Romancing the Stone and The Talentless Writer

To read more about Brian Boyle

Henie says: 25 January 2009 - 10:15 pm

Hi Gio…

Brian is someone we should all emulate for courage, determination and triumph!

I have a dear friend who is a C6 Quadriplegic, paralyed from the neck down. Gio, he does more in a day than you and I put together. He is amazing with an iron will!

Thanks for sharing Brian’s story!

Trey - Swollen Thumb Entertainment says: 26 January 2009 - 3:01 am

Great story. And good for Brian!

If he can do all that, what’s stopping the healthy young people from living out their dreams? Great post, Giovanna.

Bruno LoGreco says: 26 January 2009 - 3:14 am

Wow! Choked me up… I will never say “I can’t” ever again. It really is a mindset. The most powerful organ we all have is the brain, yet many of us choose not to exercise it.

Amazing story - Thank you!

LifeMadeGreat | Juliet says: 26 January 2009 - 4:19 am

Hi Giovanna

It is amazing what people can achieve.
We have a local swimmer who lost her legs in a car accident when she was about 18 I think. She had wanted to swim in the Olympics, but she didn’t let it stop here. She went on to swim in the paraolympics and is a gold medalist a few times over.
I think she could even make the grade for the Olympics”

Juliet

Alik Levin | PracticeThis.com says: 26 January 2009 - 6:14 am

Inspiring story indeed.
I am not sure i can do anything … :)
What I know for sure is that believing in something can move mountains

Giovanna Garcia says: 26 January 2009 - 8:59 am

That is amazing about your friend. You are right about we can all learn from their Iron Will.
I have a family member who is a quadriplegic as well. Please send my love to your friend.

Giovanna Garcia says: 26 January 2009 - 9:02 am

Hi Bruno
We can do anything that we believe we can. All we have to do is to choose to do so.
Thanks for your comment, I enjoy reading them.

Giovanna Garcia says: 26 January 2009 - 9:07 am

Hi Juliet
The human spirit is amazing; we truly can achieve anything we put our mind to. All we got to do is put action behind it.
Thank you for your comment and sharing the story of the paraolympics gold medalist swimmer.

Giovanna Garcia says: 26 January 2009 - 9:11 am

Hi Alik
With believes and actions we surely can move mountains. Anything is possible.
Thank You for your comment and support.

Giovanna Garcia says: 26 January 2009 - 9:14 am

Hi Trey
Brian shows us that anything is possible and his story gives us all the courage to Act.
Thanks for your comment, and I look forward to reading more from you.

Jay says: 26 January 2009 - 10:43 am

Wow. Thanks so much doing what you do here Giovanna. Your site inspires me daily!

Hilary says: 26 January 2009 - 10:44 am

What an amazing man .. & so fantastic that he’s out there helping others & he seems unfazed by the whole experience .. I’m sure he’s not .. wonderful to see & puts us into the pale …

Juliet .. do you mean Kirsty Coventry - she’s an amazing swimmer?

Giovanna Garcia says: 26 January 2009 - 2:25 pm

Hi Jay

Thank you, I am so happy to hear that my site inspire you daily :-)
That is why I do what I do!!

Thanks for your comment and being here with us daily.

Giovanna Garcia says: 26 January 2009 - 2:31 pm

Brian Boyle is a normal man just like all of us, his story teach us that we can do amazing things if we believe it and put action behind it.

Thanks for your comment and your suppor to our community.

Jacques says: 26 January 2009 - 5:44 pm

Boy, sometimes I have a hard time sticking to my diet. What a testimoney!

Christopher says: 26 January 2009 - 6:50 pm

That is beautiful and a triumph of the spirit.

buddhaofhollywood says: 26 January 2009 - 7:21 pm

Thank you for bringing us this wonderful story.
It just shows how much power there is in the human spirit.
If we could only harness that power, stop complaining and start living our dreams rather than our fears.
Thank you again. Great post!

Giovanna Garcia says: 26 January 2009 - 9:42 pm

Hi Jacques

Brian Boyle is an amazing role model for everyone. We can do anything!
Good luck with your diet :-)

Thanks for your comment.
Impefect Action is better than No Action

Giovanna Garcia says: 26 January 2009 - 9:51 pm

Hi Buddhaofhollywood

A human body can be break, but a human spirit can’t be broken.
Stop complaining and start taking action with our lives, that is my vision for Imperfect Action is better than No Action.

Giovanna Garcia says: 26 January 2009 - 9:54 pm

Hi Christopher

I am glad you enjoy the story :-)

Thanks for your comment and support to our blog.

Lance says: 27 January 2009 - 1:35 am

That’s a great story of believing in yourself and never giving up. Wow! A powerful reminder of what we can do if we just believe and then go out and ‘do’! I love this story, for the hope it gives to doing whatever we desire. Thanks so much Giovanna!

Brian Boyle says: 27 January 2009 - 10:42 am

Hello everyone!

I was just checking my email this afternoon and one of my friends from school sent me your website and I would just like to Thank You all so much for the very kind words that you said about me - truely makes my whole week!! :) It has definetly been a rough few years, but luckily I have had a tremendous amount of support from my parents, friends, and family. And, the one thing that I have learned throughout this whole ordeal is that no matter what happens in life, you have to keep a positive attitude and keep a smile on your face :)

Thank you all so much again and I hope you all have a wonderful day!

Giovanna Garcia says: 27 January 2009 - 1:10 pm

Hi Lance

You are welcom Lance. Brian Boyle is an amazing human being. He stopped by and commented on all of you. He said thank you for the kind words and you all made his week :-)

We can do whatever wer desire!

Giovanna Garcia says: 27 January 2009 - 1:15 pm

Hi Brian

Thank you, so much for stopping by to say Hello to us. That just show us that you are a Super Guy :-) We are so honored.

Take great care of yourself, and know that we support you :-D

Hilary says: 27 January 2009 - 1:38 pm

Hi Brian .. just so glad you’ve met us with us .. & can see what our group does .. how we support each other, how we look after each other ..

we’re positive .. & the most important thing about positivity .. is actually keeping everyone else ‘happy’ .. ie not worried about us - so we then in ourselves can be positive ..

It’ll be great to have you around .. & benefit from your ideas & thought process .. see you again .. soon

[...] GiovannaGarcia: (She was proud of this). [...]

DaveMurr says: 31 January 2009 - 7:58 am

Man over matter - just goes to show that using our mind and determination, we can accomplish great things!

Paul says: 8 February 2009 - 7:48 pm

HI To Brian & Everyone

Thought I’d search net for positive news as opposed to the usual we know of.Glad to have
found this site.Astounding Brian what an inspiration I’m generally very positive person lately feel been taking things too heart too much and this really puts things into perspective thank you :)

Giovanna Garcia says: 8 February 2009 - 9:54 pm

Hi Dave

I like that, “Man over matter!” Well said. Thanks for your comment and sharing your wisdom with us.

Giovanna Garcia says: 8 February 2009 - 9:56 pm

Hi Paul

I am glad you found our site, and I am glad that we were able to help you put things back into perspective.
Keep coming back, we are here to inspire each other everyday.

Thanks for your comment.

Brian Boyle says: 17 March 2009 - 3:05 pm

Just wanted to check in to see how everyone was doing. Hope all is well and I’ll talk to you soon! :)

Giovanna Garcia says: 18 March 2009 - 7:06 am

Hi Brain

Great to see you here :) I would love to do a update interview with you. I send you email let’s get a phone call going between.