Which one of you is showing up?

Have you ever heard people say, “I used to have no fear and I took risk?” or “I used to be spontaneous and life was fun!” How about this one? “I used to be happier.”

child20playing20by20hector20rioWho is this “used to be” person? What happen to that person? Life happened to them? Some of us are fortunate enough that we are still that person with no fear, spontaneous and happy…

But others had been conditioned throughout their lives; that life is full of things to be afraid of, risk equal lost. Everything they do must be planned out. Happiness is for the young and free, adult got responsibility!  You see these people had forgotten what it feels like to have their heart pound with excitement and their spirit soars! They have allowed life to deplete their passion. Believe me when I tell you “Life will beat your passion out of you, if you let it!” So, don’t EVER let that happen.

Get back in touch with the person you used to be. The person who would look at a situation with the eyes of possibility and not the eyes of fears. The person who will say “Yes, to life and ask Why not”? The person that have time for happiness… You see, that is the real you, the ‘You’ before life done a number on you.

Wouldn’t you want to show up every day in the real you? Leave your baggage of history behind, everyday is a fresh new day. It don’t matter what happen the last 10, or 20 years. Be willing to set yourself free from you history. Today is a new day, choose to show up in the real you? All it takes if for you to be willing to start.

What can we learn from a 9 months old?

Hilary says: 27 January 2009 - 11:51 pm

Excellent post .. getting our passion for life back into our hearts: we should all be striving for … the best out of ourselves .. & give that face to the world .. the world deserves the best of us

Trey - Swollen Thumb Entertainment says: 28 January 2009 - 12:34 am

This is why I believe that children tend to be smarter than adults. To me, wisdom is acknowledging that you don’t know anything, and are willing to learn and perceive.

We, as humans, love to perceive. When we become adults, we stop living, and focus on being an “adult”, whatever that means.

Life doesn’t always happen the way that we want it to. So if we used to be happier, then it’s probably because we’ve sunk into a rut, and we aren’t perceiving life anymore. We’re just going through the motions. I think that now, in 2009, the truly enlightened people are finally starting to realize what living truly is!

All of the older generation, that thinks that the younger generation is stupid, are all having heart attacks because their retirement money that they worked their whole lives for is going away due to the recession. They figured that they would work for 40+ years, and then ENJOY life when they were much older, and now they are starting to wish that they had done like us, and try to live life instead of put it in the future.

Arswino says: 28 January 2009 - 1:03 am

Hi Giovanna, provoking article. I like your passion. ‘Show up the real you!’ .. I love that saying. But what if we live in the middle of war? Like citizen of Gaza, for example. They couldn’t go anywhere. They lived in fear because anytime a bomb could take their life away. How should they show up the excitement of life?

Bruno LoGreco says: 28 January 2009 - 2:12 am

One of my secret tools is children. I actually developed my coaching tools from children and applied them to adults. I ask clients to keep an eye on babies and toddlers and to observe the lack of fear they exhibit. The tool is used to show that fear is a learned behavior and if a behavior can be learned it can also be unlearned.

Excellent Giovanna!

CG Walters says: 28 January 2009 - 2:55 am

From the Joseph Campbell/Bill Moyers interviews:

CAMPBELL: Remember the last line [of Babbitt]? “I have never done the thing that I wanted to in all my life.” That is a man who never followed his bliss. Well, I actually heard that line when I was teaching at Sarah Lawrence. Before I was married, I used to eat out in the restaurants of town for my lunch and dinners. Thursday night was the maid’s night off in Bronxville, so that many of the families were out in restaurants. One fine evening I was in my favorite restaurant there, and at the next table there was a father, a mother, and a scrawny boy about twelve years old. The father said to the boy, “Drink your tomato juice.”And the boy said, “I don’t want to.” Then the father, with a louder voice, said, “Drink your tomato juice.” And the mother said, “Don’t make him do what he doesn’t want to do.” The father looked at her and said, “He can’t go through life doing what he wants to do. If he does only what he wants to do, he’ll be dead. Look at me. I’ve never done a thing I wanted to in all my life.”And I thought, “My God, there’s Babbitt incarnate!” That’s the man who never followed his bliss. You may have a success in life, but then just think of it-what kind of life was it? What good was it-you’ve never done the thing you wanted to do in all your life. I always tell my students, go where your body and soul want to go. When you have the feeling, then stay with it, and don’t let anyone throw you off.
MOYERS: What happens when you follow your bliss?
CAMPBELL: You come to bliss.

blessings and bliss,
CG

LifeMadeGreat | Juliet says: 28 January 2009 - 4:54 am

Hi Giovanna

True. I think it also applies to how one sees life around one. See it all as new and fresh. People - treat them as if it is the first time you have met. Let go of the baggage.

Juliet

Giovanna Garcia says: 28 January 2009 - 8:17 am

Great comment, I love what you said about “the world deserves the best of us” Wow, I love that! Thanks for added more value to this post.

Giovanna Garcia says: 28 January 2009 - 8:32 am

Hi Trey
Yes, a part of wisdom is to understand what we don’t know and be open to learn about them. Also, we should be alive and shows up every day, don’t want til … because none of us know if and when that … will be here. So we might just well live our life today.
Thank You for your comment, I enjoy reading them.

Giovanna Garcia says: 28 January 2009 - 8:45 am

Hi Arswino

I have never be in a war with bomb flying over my head. But I have interviewed people who has, and what I learn from them is that with living in fear for there lives they still need to have moments where they enjoy live without thinking about the bomb. Being their real self even it might short, and those are the moment that reminds them the reason to be a live.
That is what I learn form the ones I interviewed. But like I said, I haven’t lived it so I wouldn’t tell the people in the war, how they should live. I do wish them all world peace and love.

Thank you for your comment, that open door to anyone who might have advice for those who lived in the war to share their wisdom here.

Giovanna Garcia says: 28 January 2009 - 8:55 am

Hi Bruno
Children are amazing. We can learn a lot from them, the see the world in a way the world is meant to be seen. I am sure you help a lot of people with your teaching.

Thanks for sharing that with us, and continue success.

Giovanna Garcia says: 28 January 2009 - 9:04 am

Hi CG
Some people had pushed their passion so far down for so long, that they start to do the same to people around them like the father in your favorite restaurant. He was doing that to his son. My husband has seen that as well, and I do have a few stories to tell. May be another blog post for another day :-)
Thank you so much for sharing your teaching with us. You have added more value to this post. Follow your bliss, you become bliss…Thanks for the gift.

Giovanna Garcia says: 28 January 2009 - 9:07 am

Hi Juliet

We are so lucky to have all of these comment here to help us learn and to see things in a new way. For example your comment mention “See it all as new and fresh”.
Thanks for put it under a night light for us.

Alik Levin | PracticeThis.com says: 28 January 2009 - 12:44 pm

Good topic - we all play the game i think. What matters is the values. I can be different me depending what environment i am with. My behaviors are dictated by my personal values and the values of the environment. If those two overlap there is a chance for success - otherwise there is no.

Mark says: 28 January 2009 - 3:33 pm

It is true, many of us get lost as we “grow up”, it is important to remember and allow ourselves to be for this is what this journey is all about.
Well done!

Shaw Funami says: 28 January 2009 - 6:19 pm

If one continue to think his or her past was better than today, it will happen that way. Because he himself is the one making past better than today, at least in his mind. So, need to get up and start to think that future will be good and make it better. Thanks, Giovanna, for your nice story.

J.D. Meier says: 28 January 2009 - 6:44 pm

I remember the day after I watched Peaceful Warrior, I went to work as if it was my first day on the job.

Granted I had my experience with me, but I also brought zest. I reevaluated everything I did and the people I worked with. It was a blank slate. I was surprised by how many things had changed that I hadn’t noticed. It was refreshing to explore my everyday, as if it was brand new.

Giovanna Garcia says: 28 January 2009 - 9:19 pm

Hi Alik

What you said is very Interesting. “A Game we all play!” Humm…
When I was a kid my personal value didn’t fit into the environment, so I choose to leave home and came to America. That does have a big factor to how I was able to become successful.

Thank you, for your comment and I enjoy reading them.

Giovanna Garcia says: 28 January 2009 - 9:21 pm

Hi Mark

Thank you for the kind words. Yes, we are all on a journey :-) Thanks for your comment and your support.

Giovanna Garcia says: 28 January 2009 - 9:24 pm

Hi Shaw

You are right “we are what we think”, if we keep thinking the past was better. Then tomorrow would never be better.

Thanks for your comment. I look forward to reading more from you.

Giovanna Garcia says: 28 January 2009 - 11:29 pm

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, That is beautiful - you were refresh to explore everyday and everyday as if they were brand new. I remember the first time I done that, and I saw flowers, the hillside, the road that I past by everyday. The thing was for the first time I see very thing clearly. As if I was wearing drity glasses all my life, and now my glasses were clean. An amazing experience.

Thanks for sharing that with us.

Gennaro says: 29 January 2009 - 10:59 am

There is a free nature as a child that is lost along the way. Perhaps, it is a loss of innocence or the gaining of responsibilities. I think it’s important to channel that inner child every so often. That fun-loving, easy-going side of all of us.

Giovanna Garcia says: 29 January 2009 - 3:48 pm

Hi Gennaro

Yes, we can all use a little more our inner child, it is still inside of us. call up on to it. We will all be happier and have more freedom, our world will be bigger with more possiblilty.

DaveMurr says: 31 January 2009 - 8:05 am

Something happens to us, I think, as we get older. The real us no longer wants to come out from behind the curtain… or better yet, we train the real us to hide under the weight of outside influence, voices, responsibilities, demands of others and a lot of noise.

If that’s the case.. I wouldn’t want to come out either. Somehow our true selves are more frightening to us as we age because we know what we are truly capable of - and that is the most terrifying aspect.

Its easy to fail - takes no effort at all. But to succeed and have everything you want - can be scary and we don’t want to believe it.

By quieting the outside can we find the inside again and then our true selves begin to shine as they once have!

Giovanna Garcia says: 31 January 2009 - 4:03 pm

Hi Dave

Wow, I like what you said about “quieting the outside can we find the inside again and then our true selves begin to shine as they once have!” That is a fantastic way to put it.
Thanks for your comment and sharing your wisdom with us.