An amazing story of strength and perseverance.

In 1996 a promising 19 years old professional ballerina Ma Li lost her right arm in a car accident. Her life would never be the same, her boy friend couldn’t handle what was going on and he walked away from her. She tried to kill herself only to be saved by her parents. Then Ma Li found the strength to live.

Ma Li had to learn how to do everything: how to write, comb her hair, cook, and wash clothes… She had to learn how to be an independent person again.

Five years after the accident, with the passion is her heart Ma Li returned to the theaters. Ma Li found her soul mate Tao and the two of them worked in the performance arts. Then in 2004 SARS outbreak happened in China and as a result all the theaters were closed. The young couple was completely broke and they were trying to develop a unique performance for Ma Li. Then in a cold snowy night, when the two huddled in an underpass waiting for the sunrise and Ma Li suddenly had the urge to dance in the snow with Tao. She had used her dance to tell him her story so many times before, but this time, after their “dance” ended, Tao suddenly realized that THIS should be her unique performance.

In September 2005, Ma Li meet 21-year-old national Special Olympics cyclist Zhai Xiaowei. When Zhai was 4 years old he fell off a tractor and lost his left leg. His father at the time asked little Zhai, “”The doctor will have to amputate your leg. Are you afraid?” Zhai couldn’t comprehend what would be so different so he said “N0”. His father said, “You are going to face many challenges and difficulties in life, are you afraid?” Zhai asked, “What are ‘challenges and difficulties?’ Do they taste good?” His dad laughed with tears, “Yes, they’re like your favorite candies. You just need to eat them one piece at a time!” (Then his dad ran out of the room in tears.) Zhai has always been very optimistic and athletic with a great sense of humor. When Ma Li first told Zhai about her plan for him to dance, Zhai initially didn’t understand how he could “dance,” being that he had never dance before, but later he decided to give it a try.

Ma Li, Tao and Zhai did intensive training and practice for over one year, day in day out from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. Most of us cannot even imagine the kind of challenges and difficulties they faced. So much determination has gone into the making of this performance. Zhai dropped her more than thousands of times!!!

Ma Li and Zhai Xiaowei was the first time a handicapped couple ever entered the CCTV national dance competition and they won the hearts of millions.

With Strength and perseverance we can do anything!

Music of Opportune and the sound of potential!

A true story of recovery and comeback; proofs that miracle do happen.

Daphne says: 2 February 2009 - 10:39 pm

Wow, Giovanna. I almost cried watching the video. And to think I have all my limbs intact and not be grateful every single day and make use of them fully… Thank you so much for posting this.

Emma says: 2 February 2009 - 11:19 pm

That was amazing! Thank you for sharing. Where on Earth do you learn about all of these astonishing people?

Hilary says: 3 February 2009 - 1:17 am

Hi Gio .. you do manage to find some wonderful inspiring stories .. which humble me. They are quite an extraordinary threesome - the dance is embedded on my memory and something that I will not be able to forget.

Thanks so much .. for sharing this absolutely incredible story .. Hilary

LifeMadeGreat | Juliet says: 3 February 2009 - 3:30 am

Hi Giovanna

yes, I once saw them performing. At the time I didn’t know the story. This is wonderful! Thank you for showing me more.

Juliet

Believe Achieve - Hugo and Roxanne says: 3 February 2009 - 4:16 am

What a magnificent performance! I can literally feel the emotions of the crowd and I, too, was filled with emotion. Finding the strength, never giving up on our dreams and doing what ever it takes to pursue them are all key to achieving anything.
Thank you so much for this incredible post…I will never forget it.

Roxanne ~ Believe Achieve

DaveMurr says: 3 February 2009 - 6:36 am

Absolutely amazing Giovanna - I agree with Hilary, you find some of the most incridble stories to share. During these times of “recessions” and we are bombarded with negative saturated news - your blog is a refreshing change and message of hope. Thank you for all you do!

Bri says: 3 February 2009 - 8:27 am

That’s very inspiring, and definitely forces us to look at our own dreams and what excuses we could possibly have for not accomplishing them.

Jay says: 3 February 2009 - 9:07 am

Giovanna-

Again you find a story to inspire us! I can answer where sh finds them. Giovanna’s mind is so focused like a laser on imporoving others lives through imperfect action, that the universe shifts to bring her examples. What we focus on, we get. Thank you Giovanna!

Giovanna Garcia says: 3 February 2009 - 12:08 pm

Hi Daphne

We all have so much to be grateful for and we have it in us to do so much.

Thanks for your comment and support. I am glad you like this post.

Giovanna Garcia says: 3 February 2009 - 12:08 pm

Hi Emma

Yes, they are amazing people, very inspiring. Thanks for the kind words about my work.
How I found all of these astonishing people is that I look for astonishing people :-)

Giovanna Garcia says: 3 February 2009 - 12:09 pm

I am glad that their performance is embedded in your memory, which way they will continue to inspire you. If you ever felt like something is impossible, just think of them.

Thanks for the kind words about my work, as long as I know it is inspiring and empowering good people like you. I will keep it up! :-D

Giovanna Garcia says: 3 February 2009 - 12:10 pm

Hi Juliet

There performance is unbelievable! It took some digging but I got the story to go along with the video which added so much for to their dance.

Thanks for your comment and sharing your thoughts with us.

Giovanna Garcia says: 3 February 2009 - 12:10 pm

Hi Hugo & Roxanne

That is right find the strength to perseverance with continues Imperfect Action and that is how we can achieve everything we dreamed.
Please don’t forget about Ma Li and Zhai, they will give you strength whenever you have doubt.

Thanks for your comment and sharing your wisdom with us.

Giovanna Garcia says: 3 February 2009 - 12:11 pm

Hi Dave

You totally get me;-D. I feel that as a blogger I have a way to do my part in sharing stories with the public. To inspire and empower people; reminding everyone to keep their dreams alive and to take many Imperfect Action to reach those dreams. That is what dreams are made of.

Thanks for your comment and being a part of the community.

Giovanna Garcia says: 3 February 2009 - 12:11 pm

Hi Bri

We have no reason to deprive ourselves from our dreams any long. All we have to do is to get started and keep going.

Thanks for your comment, I appreciate them.

Giovanna Garcia says: 3 February 2009 - 12:12 pm

Hi Jay

You absolutely correct! I do focus on looking for Imperfect Action is better than No Action and yes, I do see them everywhere.

I love the way you said, “The universe shifts to bring me examples!” Wow that is powerful.
Thank you for your comment and adding more value to this post.

Shaw Funami says: 3 February 2009 - 1:49 pm

I watched their performance in CCTV. They are magnificient dancers. Since then I was wondering how their life could have been and how they entered into dancing performance. You answered all of my questions. Thank you for your post. I really believe that people can do anything if they have faith and determination. Thanks again…

Shaw Funami
Fill the Missing Link

BarbershopJerry says: 3 February 2009 - 4:06 pm

What a wonderful story, an inspiration to us all. thanks for sharing
jerry

Giovanna Garcia says: 4 February 2009 - 8:08 am

Hi Shaw

They are amazing people. I felt the same way after I saw their performance, I would the story behind so I went out and did research on them and that is how I found out about their lives stories.

I agree with you ‘keep the faith and don’t quit.’
Thanks for your comment :-)

Giovanna Garcia says: 4 February 2009 - 8:09 am

Hi Jerry

Thanks for stopping and commenting, I look forward to seeing more of you.

J.D. Meier says: 6 February 2009 - 8:23 am

Life imitating art.

I love it when people follow their passion and succeed, even just a day at at time.

Joanne Utke says: 6 February 2009 - 1:59 pm

Wow! If this doesn’t show people that we can achive anything I don’t know what will!

Giovanna Garcia says: 6 February 2009 - 7:49 pm

Thanks for your comment, these two dancers are beautiful inside and out. I am glad you enjoyed this post.

Giovanna Garcia says: 6 February 2009 - 7:54 pm

Hi Joanne

Yes, Ma Li and Zhai an amazing :-)
Thanks for your comment, come back anytime.
Imperfect Ation is better than No Action

Yes, You can! | Imperfect Action says: 12 February 2009 - 4:49 pm

[...] An amazing story of strength and perseverance. [...]

Philip says: 1 March 2009 - 5:38 am

Hi, thats really amazing.. after watching this videos i realize a lot of good things i have in my life. and every challenges that will come my way will always inspired me to be thankful for giving me that opportunity to become strong..

Giovanna Garcia says: 1 March 2009 - 7:55 pm

Hi Philip

I am so happy to hear that this story inspire you to be thankful :-)
Ma Li and Zhai are amazing human being.
Thank you for your comment and sharing your thoughts with us.

[...] Garcia Imperfect Action is better than No Action. Other related post by Giovanna An amazing story of strength and perseverance. To reach for your dreams…take a drive in the dark! Share and [...]

[...] 2. An Amazing Story of Strength and Perseverance [...]

[...] Imperfect Action is better than No Action Other related post by Giovanna  Yes, You can! Music of Opportune and the sound of potential! An amazing story of strength and perseverance. [...]

Srikanth Surabhi says: 9 November 2009 - 2:04 pm

I googled something like Inspiring videos and am glad that I found this video. It just blew my mind off. I sincerely wish I could come back to this video when I feel I could not do something.

-Sri

Giovanna Garcia says: 23 November 2009 - 7:24 pm

Hi Srikanth,

I am glad you enjoyed the video, it gets me everytime I watch. It really is one of the most inspiring video out there.

DORIS EKIKO says: 23 April 2010 - 8:33 am

i’m inspired, i feel like av never felt before. i think i use to lack patience but right now i’m really going to ask God for lots of it. thanks. DORIS.

Paromita says: 28 April 2010 - 8:35 am

amazing video of grit, passion & determination…..

Kudos to the couple!! Great work….Gives me a new zeal to face life head-on….

Melanie Elliott says: 17 June 2010 - 1:53 pm

Mai: Hello from a fellow disabled dancer. You have been an incredible inspiration to me……enabling me to regain a quality of life and ability to return to what is my passion. I am a wheelchair and crutch user and have been able to adapt techniques with this that work for me. Seeing your skill and determination keeps me positive and happy. You have changed my life and given me hope
Melanie Elliott

clement johnson ako says: 20 January 2011 - 3:58 pm

i will not give up. no not for any reason. i rather die trying than give up. if those without hand and leg can do it, i must be grateful to God for having all my members in place. i have hope i can make it.

minakshi pant says: 31 January 2011 - 4:46 am

its real a sad story bat it gives us Strength and perseverance
many many thanx to u friend

El Aurens says: 13 May 2011 - 9:44 am

Outstanding, remarkable examples of human determination, drive, and destiny. If we think their stars shine brightly now, just wait. Karma will see to it. As wise old King Solomon said in Proverbs: “As a man thinketh in his heart, so he is.” Ma Li and Zhai Xiaowei will someday be dancing among the celestial lights, fully complete in their beingness, for Goddess Quan Yin, with Tao guiding them.

lola says: 15 November 2011 - 5:10 am

hahahahah nice

Ryn says: 16 April 2012 - 6:22 am

It`s Nice I ♥ It . It`s Good and inspirative story .