Your dream, is power by you!

untitled1The Women is a comedies movie released in Sept of 2008. Box office $26 Million. Diane English the director, packed this firm with an all-star female only cast: Annette Bening, Meg Ryan, Jada Pinkett Smith, Candice Bergen, and Debra Messing. The film deals with the relationships among a close-knit group of female friends, who, when their marriages fail and their lives are on the verge of falling apart, turn to each other for support.

The making of this film was no comedies, it was a long 14 years of uphill battle and it involved far too many script revisions. Just about every actresses had falling in and falling out of this project during this 14 years journey. Only Diane English remained fully committed the entire time, determined to prove that a movie with an all-woman cast wouldn’t be roadkill at the box office. ”I got plenty discouraged,” says Diane. ”People would say, ‘Just let go. It’ll never get made.’ When I heard the words can’t be done, it became a mission. I think that’s what it takes for some of these films, just one idiot who sticks with it for the whole duration, refusing to back down.”

The film lost its director so Diane English became first time movie Director.  Diane said: ”It was intimidating, but I thought, This is the only way to get this made,”

Diane said: ”I would go from studio to studio with my list of female ensemble movies that have made a ton of money, like 9 to 5, First Wives Club, and Steel Magnolias. And always the response was. Well, that was a fluke’ and ‘No, it doesn’t pencil out for us.” Not only no studio wants this film, Diane also had trouble getting enough actresses to commit. Finally, after being turned down by every single studio in town, English pursued the last possible option: develop The Women as an indie. Diane rounded up a stable of actresses willing to take a pay cut like Annette Bening. And in fall of 2006 Diane pitched The Women to Picturehouse president Bob Berney, Bob saw the all-female cast as an asset. Finally Diane English start  the filming of “The Women”

Diane English dedicated 14 years of her life to her Dream: To create a movie with a all female cast. The movie The Women’s very existence is a triumph for her.

Your dream is power by you, you are the one who can give your dream the power to come to live. No matter how long it takes, no matter what people say…if your keep taking action to power up your dream. It is going to happen, just like Diane English’s.

Imperfect Action is better than No Action.
An amazing story of strength and perseverance.
To reach for your dreams…take a drive in the dark!

Ching Ya says: 9 April 2009 - 12:15 am

Thank you for sharing this inspirational story. I, myself, am in the process of realizing a dream of my own too. Will make a big decision for it, requires a lot of courage and faith as well. My wish goes out to everyone, especially women who’s having the same experience, go after what you believe in, and make it happen. Best wishes to everyone, and you too Giovanna.

Alik Levin | PracticeThis.com says: 9 April 2009 - 2:30 am

Good reminder to stick with your dream. Know what the hardest part for me? It is deciding what my dream is? ;)
There are so many directions and so many temptations. Nailing your won dream i think is the hardest. At leas for me ;)

Nadia - Happy Lotus says: 9 April 2009 - 5:58 am

I did not know all of that information about Diane English. What a great story. I have always been a big believer in dreams coming true. They do come true with passion and persistence. I love the message of this post! :) Thank you for always having such inspirational posts!

Giovanna Garcia says: 9 April 2009 - 8:40 am

Hi Ching

When you make your decisions make them absolutely. I have a blog post: How to make a decision in 2 second? http://ping.fm/Wj8P9 It will help you.
Thank you for your comment and sharing your thoughts.

Giovanna Garcia says: 9 April 2009 - 8:42 am

Hi Alik

Everything is a jounrey, just keep putting one foot in front of the other. And it will be clear to you.
Thank you for your comment and being a part of the community :-) Giovanna Garcia

Giovanna Garcia says: 9 April 2009 - 8:44 am

Hi Nadia

You are right about Passion and Persistence are what makes dream come true.
Thank you for your comment and sharing your wisdom.

Henie says: 9 April 2009 - 9:12 am

Giovanna:

As always, you inspire! Thank you! :~)

“Dreams need hard work too, not just sleep!” ~Henie~ :~)

J.D. Meier says: 9 April 2009 - 9:46 am

I’m always surprised when a dream that lasts that long comes true … and I think it’s great.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned doing project management for years is that the longer you spread things over time, the less likely they are to happen (people change their minds, the landscape changes, the market changes, people move on … etc.) I try to balance with long term wins and short term gains … but the key in any of this is following your passion and driving from confidence to make things happen.

Mark says: 9 April 2009 - 10:13 am

It often takes years to become an overnight sensation!

Positively Present says: 9 April 2009 - 11:00 am

This is a very inspiring story and it really proves the point that you have to be persistent in life. No one is going to make your dreams come true for you — it’s all up to you. I saw the movie “The Women” when it was in theaters and I really enjoyed it. For those of you who haven’t seen it, definitely check it out.

And if you’re looking for some ways to embrace positivity while you’re working toward your dream, check out my blog.

Hilary says: 9 April 2009 - 1:20 pm

Hi Gio .. I’m sure that was one of the movies I wanted to see last year .. having heard Diane English’s story - but never made it .. however it’s on my list for future viewing once life settles down. Brilliant that she just kept on .. and made it happen.

Thanks for showing us imperfect action makes it happen ..

Positive Letters

Sunny Jamiel says: 9 April 2009 - 10:16 pm

Wow. Gotta watch this one. Thanks Gio. :)

Giovanna Garcia says: 9 April 2009 - 11:06 pm

Hi Sunny
Good, I hope you like it. What I love most is the story behind the movie :-) Thank you for your comment and joining in the conversation.

Giovanna Garcia says: 9 April 2009 - 11:17 pm

Hi Positively Present

If it is going to happen it is up to you.
Thank you for your comment and sharing your wisdom.

Giovanna Garcia says: 9 April 2009 - 11:33 pm

I love it “Dreams need hard work too, not just sleep!”
Thank you for your comment and sharing your wisdom with us.

Giovanna Garcia says: 9 April 2009 - 11:35 pm

I agree with you, usually if some take this long the chances for it to happen are normally not well. So, Diane English story is amazing.
Thank you for your comment and you have added more value to this post.

Giovanna Garcia says: 9 April 2009 - 11:37 pm

Hi Mark

Personally I believe there are no overnight sensation.
Thank you for your comment and joining the conversation.

Giovanna Garcia says: 9 April 2009 - 11:39 pm

You are welcome, I am glad you enjoy the Diane English story.
You are right about Imperfect Action make it happen :-)

LisaNewton says: 10 April 2009 - 4:01 am

It takes work and perservance, but dreams can come true. I’m working on mine and lovin’ every minute of the journey…………………:)

Thanks for the reminder.

Giovanna Garcia says: 10 April 2009 - 2:21 pm

Hi Lisa
I know you are a go getter, so I am sure you will come out a winner.
Thank your for your comment and sharing your thoughts with us.

[...] Your dream, is power by you! Brooklyn Bridge was build by one finger. [...]