Passion or Comfort?

Comfortably Numb

Comfortably Numb

A life of safety in your comfort zone might sounded good, but what about the burden of coming to the end of your life and never finding out what could have been?

Are you settling for comfort zone and never finding out what you could have been…be honest!?
How will anyone ever find out what they can achieve, if they never take any risk?

To dream is to have passion and its often require the person to do something new. He or she must paid their dues in learning and doing something new. And that my friend cause discomfort. Most people related discomfort to the feeling of unsafe and out of the control. As a result, many good people live safely in their comfort zone but lacking passion in their life.

What if the passion of doing something new, happened 10 years ago; and you never went for it…because you have been staying safe. Now, fast forward to 2019. Which life will you be living? Will you have 10 more years of safety and comfort or will you have taken the risk to find out what it is like to living your dream and enjoying the reward?

My guess is that nobody ever tells themselves that they are going to wait around 10 years before they go on to pursuit their dream. The reality is, this is exactly what happen to most people’s dream. And before anyone realized, years has gone by without any notice.

Do you know what your passion is?
Not everyone knows the answer to this question, and it is okay to not have the answer yet.
The point is, if you know what your passion is already.  Don’t wait for another day to run after it!
If you don’t know what your passion is yet, take this opportunity to explore your life. L
ook for ways and things to do that can put you in touch with your passion. This is a journey that will improve the quality of your life.

In today’s world we are so trained to live in our head! We need to live more in our HEART! Get out of your head, and you will get out of the way! Connect to your heart and you will connect to your passion!

Open up your heart today and be ready to receive your dream. Your dream is waiting to come home to you, keep the door to your heart open. So your dream can find its way back to you.

Do it quickly, before you become comfortably numb.

Positively Present says: 22 May 2009 - 6:27 am

Ah, one of the big life questions! Often I find that I settle for comfort (like staying in a job I don’t love but that is stable) rather than passion (like quitting my job to write/blog full time).

chicago office says: 22 May 2009 - 9:18 am

Nice Pink Floyd reference there ;). It’s true, It feels so secure to be in that comfort zone aka job security. It’s an uneasy feeling for me just go jump off and decide to do something different. Maybe one day though I’ll have the courage to do it!

Kian Ann says: 22 May 2009 - 9:36 am

Hey Giovanna,

How are you getting on? Long time since we caught up. :)

Pursuing a passion make excellent sense when you think about 10 years down the road, imagining that you could be so much more than staying in a job and boss you don’t particularly like.

However, I think when we do pursue our passions, it is also important to think about the financial aspect. Without a sound business idea to go along with the passion, its easy to get caught up in doing so much as a passion and end up doing so much, getting so busy and yet find that we put a burden on the people who live with us - may it be our parents, or spouse, or kids.

It is a dog eat dog world out there. And as much as this statement sounds like a wet blanket, I feel that those who are not ready to “give it all” and have a mentality that “failure isn’t an option” should really think twice before stepping out of their own comfort zone and pursing their passion.

Perhaps, these people can opt for a slower transition, like going for part time work and part time business, instead of dive into the business world and get a shock of their lives.

J.D. Meier says: 22 May 2009 - 6:27 pm

I think a lot of life is about satisficing … finding a good enough fit of a bunch of variables … your passion, your risk, who you want to hang with, … etc. The real key is always, knowing what you really want, since you just might get it.

Deanna Finlinson says: 23 May 2009 - 1:52 am

Giovanna, thank you for this wonderful post. You are so right that people want that safety of what is known. It keeps people from growing sometimes. They even let go of the dreams that they had for the safety of what is known.

Stephen - Rat Race Trap says: 23 May 2009 - 3:30 am

Giovanna, FANTASTIC!

“Which life will you choose to live… a life with passion and risk or a life of safety in your comfort zone?”

My next article is about thinking big. You nailed it with this one. Thanks!

“Do it quickly, before you become comfortably numb.”

Amen!

Christopher says: 23 May 2009 - 8:52 am

I think I want a mix of both :)

Giovanna Garcia says: 26 May 2009 - 8:04 am

Hi Positively Present,
That’s right…and no one can make that decicion for you..
We are the ones who have to live with any/all decisions we make.
Imperfect Action is better than no Action

Giovanna Garcia says: 26 May 2009 - 9:57 pm

Hi Chicago Office
That is a great song. You will know when the time is right for you.
Thank You for your comment and sharing your thoughts.

Giovanna Garcia says: 26 May 2009 - 9:58 pm

Hi Kian Ann
Long time no see my friend. I am happy to see you again. I look at your website, it look very nice.
Great word of wisdom you shared. Yes, slow transition is better than no transition. The point is to do what you can, however fast or slow it is. Just do something.
Thank you for your comment and keep in touch.

Giovanna Garcia says: 26 May 2009 - 9:58 pm

Yes, knowing what you want is the key to anyone’s happiness. I am so with you on that.
Thank you for your comment and sharing your wisdom with us.

Giovanna Garcia says: 26 May 2009 - 9:58 pm

Hi Deanna
My wish for everyone to never let go of their dream, keep taking little step one step at a time. We can all get there one day.
Thank you for your comment and support.

Giovanna Garcia says: 26 May 2009 - 9:58 pm

Hi Stephen
Thank you for the kind words, I am glad you enjoyed this one. I read your “Thinking Big” Great post.
Thank you for your comment and joining the conversation.

Giovanna Garcia says: 26 May 2009 - 9:59 pm

Hi Christopher
you got it my friend! Just the way your order it.
Thank you for your comment and support.