How to discover your Integrity and Morals.

The gift of Integrity

The gift of Integrity

Integrity is not something we are born with, nor can we go out to buy it. It does not come in a box with a pretty little bow. It would be nice if it were so easy, but it’s not. Integrity is something you have to grow from within. For me personally, it wasn’t until I got older and had lived life for a while that all the pieces came together.

First, I learned the value of my word and honesty. And then from experience I slowly began building my moral compass. I developed a sense of what’s right and wrong. I began to figure out what my ethics and morals are. Only once I realized I had these values, I really began to live them and use them as my moral compass.

You can do the same. First, you have to be honest with yourself and come to accept your belief system. What personal truths do you live by? It’s not something that is a trend. It’s not what’s popular now. It’s what you know down inside you, what you know to be right and fair. So start asking yourself questions, put them down and paper, and really look at them. What are your answers? Get in touch with your moral compass. Put aside petty thoughts and jealousy and empty desires. What do you know to be right in your heart? Whatever your answer is, that’s what goes in your moral compass.

Once you’ve got your values figured out, put yourself into the frame of mind to start following your moral compass. Start to live by your compass. If something is wrong by your moral standards, don’t do it, even if no one else will ever know about it, because you’ll always know about it! Having integrity is about being able to look in the mirror every night and feel good about yourself. That’s where you will get your confidence from, that’s why you’ll be able to persevere when times are rough, because you know you made the right decision. You have to draw a line in the sand and live on the right side of it.

Don’t confuse this to mean that you should be going out and preaching to people about your morals and values or be judgmental. No one likes that. What I mean, is that you should live by your moral compass. Live by example and those who are inspired by you will respect you and maybe even follow your example.

You will also find that certain people are uncomfortable with your integrity—usually people who are manipulative and ignore their own morals. These people probably won’t want to work with you or be friends your friend. Accept it and let them go. They are not the type of people you want in your support system anyway. Still, always remember, regardless of who you work and interact with, whether they’re good or bad, always treat people fairly and follow your moral compass. Being spiteful or trying to retaliate a wrong is as sure to ruin your integrity as lying is.

Share with me about your thoughts on Integrity, I love to hear from you.

Daphne @ Joyful Days says: 10 August 2009 - 5:54 pm

I like what you said about the value of my word. I didn’t use to take my words so seriously, until I heard the proverb “A gentleman’s word is his bond” and decided to become a gentleman!

Nowadays I’m much more careful what I promise and what I just say, though sometimes I’m still careless. Working on it though.

Keith says: 10 August 2009 - 6:04 pm

Hello Giovanna,

I like what Henry Ward Beecher said,
“No man can tell whether he is rich or poor by turning to his ledger. It is the heart that makes a man rich. He is rich according to what he is, not according to what he has.”

Integrity, to me, is to live true to myself. To live consistently, faithfully and loyally. When my children think of what honor, love, and trustworthiness is, I hope that I cross their mind.

Great article Giovanna.

J.D. Meier says: 10 August 2009 - 11:28 pm

I like your inside out approach and I agree.

It all starts with being true to you.

Tess The Bold Life says: 11 August 2009 - 7:10 am

One of the best things about living with values and integrity is you don’t have to explain yourself.

You also don’t spend your life looking over your shoulder and you become a magnet drawing others with values and morals to you.

What’s better than that?

Hilary says: 11 August 2009 - 11:26 am

Hi Gio .. I’ve had my fair share of this in the last 20 months .. I prefer to leave it behind. I’m not perfect but I certainly would not put someone (me) through what I’ve been through with a terminally ill mother and a very elderly uncle.

My mother has come sailing through too .. she’s chatting away and listening - so it’s not all bad .. just the stress of the process.

I like Tess’ words above .. very apposite ..
all the best

Deanna Finlinson says: 11 August 2009 - 11:28 pm

This is a great post. So many today do not have this at all. ( a lot of these end up in our government system - how sad for all of us, they hurt a lot of people that way.) If we do not have Integrity and the guiding force that it is, we are blown and pulled this way and that. We end up justifying everything to ourselves. That can lead to very bad places like prison.

We really like what Keith above said about what he wanted his children to think of him as. That is the best way to think of things. Thank you Keith for that thought.

What a great subject Giovanna. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Robin says: 12 August 2009 - 3:10 am

HI there Giovanna - integrity is very important to me. For me it means things like saying the truth in a tricky situation, and also delivering what I say I will. I think doing these things give a person an indefinable aura of trustworthiness that people pick up energetically (and money can’t buy it!) Cheers - Robin

J.D. Meier says: 12 August 2009 - 7:32 am

Very nice. I’ve learned that while opposites attract, similarities bind and that values are the ties that bind us.

jonathanfigaro says: 13 August 2009 - 10:00 am

Making sure your integrity and morals are in tact is a very strong character builder. Knowing when to do the right things when your in any situation is the very root of integrity. Things such as stealing and lying diminish your integrity , but goal completion and positive thinking unite integrity.

Jason says: 13 August 2009 - 4:26 pm

Very inspirational, I’m going to start using the suggestion of being honest with myself and put it in writing.

Peter Baca says: 14 August 2009 - 11:55 am

I am of the opinion if you don’t have integrity you do not have anything! It is one of the most important attributes that a person can have.

In business, if I cannot trust someone….there is no reason to do business with them. Thanks for your enlighening post!

Pete Baca
The Car Enthusiast Online

Giovanna Garcia says: 14 August 2009 - 9:24 pm

Hi Daphne,
As long as we are aware of our words and we really try to make good on them. That is all anyone can ask of you. :-) Thanks for your comment and sharing your thoughts.

Giovanna Garcia says: 14 August 2009 - 9:27 pm

Hi Keith,
I am sure you have set a great example to your children by your actions and as a result your children will know honor, love and trustworthiness.
Thanks for your comment and sharing your wisdom.

Giovanna Garcia says: 14 August 2009 - 9:27 pm

Everything that is true and honest comes from within.
Thanks for your comment and joining the conversation.

Giovanna Garcia says: 14 August 2009 - 9:29 pm

Hi Tess,
I agree sister. :-) A life with actions that neeeds not explaination.
Thanks for your comment and adding more to this post.

Giovanna Garcia says: 14 August 2009 - 9:31 pm

Well said, my friend! Values that ties and bind us. :-) Thanks for your comment and sharing your input. I always enjoy what you have to share.

Giovanna Garcia says: 14 August 2009 - 9:34 pm

Hi Jonathanfigaro,
We must be careful about our integrity, it is priceless. Onces it is damage, it is very hard to rebuild.
Thanks for your comment and sharing your thoughts.

Giovanna Garcia says: 14 August 2009 - 9:39 pm

Hi Jason,
I am glad this post inspired you. Being honest with yourselves is the best way to live.

Giovanna Garcia says: 14 August 2009 - 9:45 pm

Hi Pete,
Yes, in business..it is all about trust. In fact, in life….it is all about trust as well.
Thanks for your comment and sharing your thoughts.

[...] How to discover your Integrity and Morals. (imperfectaction.com) [...]

Aopostle Joy says: 16 November 2011 - 6:38 pm

Integrity is your light within,without which you are in darkness unknowingly. Develop more and more on this.