Don’t get stuck in a rut

Not stuck in a rut.

Not stuck in a rut.

When you stop growing, life becomes stagnant and dull. However, if you keep growing as a person, life is exciting just like when you were a kid. When you open yourself to new experiences, when you actively seek to learn something new every day, you’ll be living life on your toes. You’ll make discoveries that open your eyes to new passions and opportunities. You’ll learn from your new experiences, even the hard experiences, and you’ll always be growing. You will be developing and improving your personality, your integrity, your trade, and your character.

The truth of the matter is you can never stand still in life. You either move in the right direction or push yourself to grow and improve; or, you can sit back, do nothing and move in the other direction, down the path of stagnation towards a slow and mind-numbing end while the world moves on around you. It seems like an easy choice, right?

When you stop growing, you lose the spunk for life. You stop being happy and excited, and that is not the right attitude for success. The world is continually growing around us, so it’s essential that we grow too. In our age of microprocessors, computers, and satellites, technology doubles every year. The workforce is getting more educated around us. The competition is getting better and better. For us to be successful, we have to be up to speed with the current times. We need to know the current customs of business and ways of interacting with people. We need to arm ourselves with new knowledge and skills. Otherwise, the world will grow without us and we’ll become disconnected. We’ll become a dinosaur, and we all know what happened to the dinosaurs: they became extinct.

Obviously, no one wakes up in the morning and says, “Today, I’m going to quit growing. I want to slowly fade out, become irrelevant, and become a miserable observer in life.” And yet, that’s exactly what becomes of so many people in our world. They quit growing, the get stuck in a rut, and become stagnant. So what happened?

There are two paths that lead to becoming stagnant. The first is the least common, and it’s the path you travel by not being humble enough. Some people reach a point in their life where they think they know everything they need to know. They feel like they’re good enough and they don’t need to grow anymore. Yikes! This is the exact wrong attitude to have. I know it’s a cliché, but it’s true: the more we learn, the more we should realize how much more there is to learn. If you consciously quit growing because you think you’re good enough, then your ego has gotten in the way. Push it aside and be more humble. Realize you’ve got a lot more learning to do, a lot more growing to do, because if you don’t, the world is going to blow right by you.

The second path to stagnation is the more common one. It’s the one that sneaks up on us. Many people do their job day in and day out, they get caught up into a pattern, and suddenly they stop expanding, they stop growing. This is how life becomes stale and leads to a slow death.

Even the best of us can get stuck in a rut. We must not allow excuses to prevent us from growing. Always be open-minded, willing to try something new, and eager to learn. When you have that kind of mind set, you’ll have a new lease on life, newfound freedom, and a fire inside of you that keeps you young, keeps you moving, and keeps you motivated.

Don’t get stuck in a rut! Never stop growing, life is fun and exciting.

Positively Present says: 14 August 2009 - 2:28 pm

Great post on getting stuck in a rut. It’s hard to avoid sometimes, but we can do it. This was a great read. Thanks for sharing it! :)

Baker says: 14 August 2009 - 4:19 pm

Excellent post. I actually really understand what you are saying here. I’m in a transition in life, that really requires me to really grow and expand. I agree and can relate very well to this. Thank you.

J.D. Meier says: 14 August 2009 - 5:40 pm

You’re speaking my language. I’m a fan of growth and renewal. I used to stagnate, but that got boring.

Giovanna Garcia says: 14 August 2009 - 9:50 pm

Hi Positively Present,
We can all use a little reminder about “Don’t get stuck in a rut.” It is because it is so easy to get into it.

Giovanna Garcia says: 14 August 2009 - 9:51 pm

Hi Baker,
It sounds like this post come to you just in time.
Thanks for your comment and joining the conversation.

Giovanna Garcia says: 14 August 2009 - 9:52 pm

You are right stagnate is boring…and who wants that!?
Thanks for your comment and sharing your thoughts.

Daphne @ Joyful Days says: 15 August 2009 - 2:54 am

A timely reminder indeed. I had to laugh at JD’s comment about getting bored with being stagnant. I fully identify. The moment I arrive where I wanted to go, I get bored and start looking for another place to go to!

Hilary says: 15 August 2009 - 6:12 am

Hi Gio .. it’s so important to gather new experiences, to see what we can learn - life will always hold us back at times, we can’t always help these periods, but even during them we can plan, learn, open our minds .. and stagnating, being in the same .. is just not me - especially now.

Go well - Hilary Melton-Butcher

Arswino @ Inspirational Quotes says: 15 August 2009 - 7:31 am

Giovanna, I really love this post.
If we don’t change, change itself will grind us.
Thanks.

Believe Achieve - Hugo and Roxanne says: 15 August 2009 - 11:15 am

Wonderful post! It’s so important to continue to grow in all aspects of our lives….personally, with family, friendships, business, etc… Life is also so much more exciting when you’re learning something NEW each day!

Your post reminded me of the story of Sir Edmund Hillary. He was the first man to climb Mt. Everest back in 1953. At 29,000 feet, it’s the tallest mountain in the world. But he didn’t do it on his first attempt. In 1952, he attempted, and failed.

He’s quoted saying, “Mount Everest, you beat me the first time, but I’ll beat you the next time because you’ve grown all you are going to grow….I’m still growing!”

The following year he did it! :-)

So, let’s all Keep Growing! Thanks for another Inspiring post!

Roxanne and Hugo
Believe Achieve

Stephen - Rat Race Trap says: 16 August 2009 - 10:37 am

Giovanna, fantastic article. “Don’t get stuck in a rut! Never stop growing, life is fun and exciting.” Amen to that. I wasted a lot of my life in a rut but no more. Each day is a new day to be lived to the max.

Robin says: 17 August 2009 - 3:37 am

Thanks Giovanna - I found this post inspiring, because I haven’t been trying new experiences as much as I might lately, for some reason, I think. It usually works for me to go to bed picturing that something new and exciting will come into my life - a new project perhaps, ot turn of events - and this usually keeps things moving. I’ll have to try it again!

Sunny Jamiel says: 17 August 2009 - 11:03 am

Excellent post. I think everyone who is suffering from procrastination and stagnation in life must read this,

Deanna Finlinson says: 17 August 2009 - 10:09 pm

Hello Giovanna,

Thank you for the great post. You have helped many of us to learn and grow and change our lives. It is easy to get stuck in that rut. It is time for that change. Great job.

Giovanna Garcia says: 20 August 2009 - 8:24 pm

Hi Daphne,
There is so much more to life, and we can always do more and learn more. The key is take the time to enjoy those special moment.
Thanks for your comment and sharing your thoughts.

Giovanna Garcia says: 20 August 2009 - 8:28 pm

Hi Hilary,
You are moving at great speed my friend, it has been wonderful to watch you grow. :-) Thanks for your comment and joining the conversation.

Giovanna Garcia says: 20 August 2009 - 8:30 pm

Hi Arswino,
You are spot! No one can stop change, it will help with or without us. It is better for us if we are active during the change.

Giovanna Garcia says: 20 August 2009 - 8:33 pm

Hi Hugo & Roxanne,
I love the Sir Edmund Hillary story. :-) He is right! We can always grow some more.
Thanks for your comment and sharing the inspiring story.

Giovanna Garcia says: 20 August 2009 - 8:34 pm

Hi Stephen,
I like what you said about, “Each day is a new day to be lived to the MAX!”
Thanks for your comment and sharing your wisdom

Giovanna Garcia says: 20 August 2009 - 8:36 pm

Hi Robin,
I love the suggestion…picture it in our mind first. Great idea!
Thanks for your comment and sharing your thoughts.

Giovanna Garcia says: 20 August 2009 - 8:37 pm

Hi Sunny,
Thanks for the kind word. Great to see you my friend.
Thanks for your comment and support

Giovanna Garcia says: 20 August 2009 - 8:39 pm

Hi Deanna
We have to watch out for ourselves to make sure we don’t get stuck in a RUT. Life is too wonderful to waste.
Thanks for your comment and adding more to this post.

[...] Don’t get stuck in a rut (imperfectaction.com) [...]