Difference between a Friend And Acquaintance.

The follow poem was send to me from one of our reader Robin.

Friends

Friends

Friend And Acquaintance

There is a difference between being an acquaintance and being a friend. An acquaintance is someone whose name you know, who you see every now and then, who you probably have something in common with and who you feel comfortable around.

It’s a person that you can invite to your home and share things with. But they are people who you don’t share your life with, whose actions sometimes you don’t understand because you don’t know enough about them.

On the other hand, a friend is someone you love. Not that you are “in love” with them, but you care about them and you think about them when they are not there. The people you are reminded of when you see something they might like, and you know this because you know them so well. They are the people whose pictures you have and whose faces are in your head regardless.

Friends are the people you feel safe around because you know they care about you. They call just to see how you are doing, because a friend doesn’t need an excuse. They tell you the truth, the first time, and you do the same. You know that if you have a problem, they are there to listen.

Friends are the people who won’t laugh at you or hurt you, and if they do hurt you they try hard to make it up to you. They are the people you love, regardless of whether you realize it.

Friends are the people you cried with when you got rejected from colleges and during the last song at the prom and at graduation. They are the people that when you hug them, you don’t think about how long to hug and who’s going to be the first one to let go.

Maybe they are the people that hold the rings at your wedding, or maybe they are the people who give you away at your wedding, or maybe they are the people you marry. Maybe they are the people who cry at your wedding because they are happy or because they are proud.

They are the people who stop you from making mistakes and help you when you do. They are the people whose hand you can hold, or you can hug or give them a kiss and not have it be awkward because they understand the things you do and they love you for them.

They stick with you and stand by you. They hold your hand. They watch you live and you watch them live and you learn from them. Your life is not the same without them.

Thank you, Robin for the Poem and your friendship.

Cherish your friends!

You will meet new acquaintances everyday of your life, but true friends are hard to come by.

Deanna Finlinson says: 17 August 2009 - 10:13 pm

Hello Giovanna,

Having great friend can really be a blessing in a persons life. It is good to remember that and keep those friendships growing.

Hilary says: 17 August 2009 - 11:13 pm

Hi Gio .. friends v acquaintances - I was speaking to my Ma’s best friend about this last night. My mother has never really opened up - probably because she’s had a pretty rough life .. not in many ways, but in losses of family etc etc; I’m sure I have good friends because I’m more open - most, granted, are scattered around the world - but they are there and we can laugh, share, guide and help each other through our trials and tribulations. We keep in touch spasmodically, but regularly.

This process with my mother has changed some of my views though - which is an interesting development .. people in the blogging world have tended to understand my reasons for doing what I’m doing, others here feel perhaps I’m putting my mother first and ‘ignoring’ me. I feel I’m coping ok .. it’s not ideal - but I’m quite hurt that friends and family can’t “see” my thoughts or my reasons.

Go well .. have a good week and weekend - all the best -

Positively Present says: 18 August 2009 - 5:40 am

I love this! Thanks for sharing it, Giovanna and Robin! :)

J.D. Meier says: 18 August 2009 - 6:54 pm

Good stuff.

I think the key distinction for me is the one has your back.

Sunny Jamiel says: 18 August 2009 - 11:48 pm

We all need friends in our lives as they make the journey of life more enjoyable. Thanks for sharing Robin and Gio.

Giovanna Garcia says: 20 August 2009 - 8:40 pm

Hi Deanna,
We all need great friends in our live. They remind us of the true and support us when we are in need.
Thanks for your comment and support

Giovanna Garcia says: 20 August 2009 - 8:43 pm

Hi Hilary,
Family is not always related. Some time our friends are better family and support system for us at times. :-) You are doing great things and you are doing very well with your life. Don’t worry about the un-enlightens.
Thanks for your comment and sharing your thoughts.

Giovanna Garcia says: 20 August 2009 - 8:43 pm

Hi Positively Present,

Giovanna Garcia says: 20 August 2009 - 8:45 pm

Thanks for your comment and I feel very blessed to have support from great people like you.

Giovanna Garcia says: 20 August 2009 - 8:46 pm

Hi Sunny,
Yes, it was very kind of Robin to share this beautiful poem with us.
May we all have great friends in our life and none of us have to be alone.
Thanks for your comment.

No Time for Otheresteem | The Otheresteem Blog says: 20 September 2009 - 5:19 am

[...] Difference between a Friend And Acquaintance. (imperfectaction.com) [...]

John says: 27 September 2010 - 5:18 am

Makes me think twice about how many friends I have is right. Don’t feel so great now knowing I only have a few friends, and more acquaintances. Oh well life goes on, take care.

Ally says: 18 October 2010 - 10:56 pm

Damn. This has opened my eyes lol.
I have a question!!!
I met this person earlier in the year and we play the same sport and we have several things in common, they are really cool and best friend materail…problem is that we are acquaintances. How do I become really good friends with them?

Jaeger LeCoultre says: 13 December 2010 - 11:10 am

And I have faced it. Let’s discuss this question. Here or in PM.

The Lone Ranger says: 17 March 2011 - 7:23 pm

According to this, I have no friends.

Kelioutsitold says: 29 August 2011 - 11:54 am

yandt

Drew Cochis says: 27 October 2011 - 11:45 am

Hello may possibly We quotation some of the materials from this submit basically provide a website link back to your internet site?

iphone case cassette tape says: 23 February 2012 - 2:37 am

I’ve bookmarked your blog.Thank you to the useful data.

cassette iphone 4 case blue says: 6 March 2012 - 10:03 pm

You created some good details there. I did a research around the topic and discovered a lot of people will concur along with your weblog.