Choose to Free Fall.

Free Falling

Free Falling

A lot of people think that if you are meant to be great at something, everything should just fall into place—it should be easy. When a job, a relationship, or a skill doesn’t come easy to us, we get discouraged. At the first sign of an obstacle, some of us move on to something else and find ourselves constantly hopping from one situation to the next, while others give up altogether and settle for just making ends meet, thinking, “Maybe I’m not meant to be ….”

Every time a person makes a commitment,  three things happen to them.

First, the person rounded up the courage to commit, that’s the easiest part.
Second, the person begin to experience resistance. The difficulty of a keeping the commitment begin.
Third, is where the rubber meets the road, the individual have to make a choice .

Have you ever quit smoking or start a new fitness program? Have you ever made any New Year’s resolutions? You might say to yourselves, ” I’m going to quit smoking this year. I’m going to take better care of my body this year.” Whatever the goal is, it’s so easy to make that commitment. That’s why many people make New Year’s resolution, yet so few of those resolutions stuck around after  a few months.

Resistance is the toughest challenge for most people. Sometime it feels as if after a person make a commitment, their brain begin to think up all the reasons in the world why they can’t follow through with that promised.

A person  may say they are going to start a workout program, then come, “My wife and I are having a hard time,” or, “My boyfriend and I are not doing so well,” or, “Things are tough, I’m really stressing, so this is not a good time to start this new fitness program.”

For these people, the moment they make a commitment, all of the reasons in the world to avoid that commitment come out of the woodwork to cling onto them and holding them back. This resistance we are speaking of, it can come from internal—self-doubt , stuck in the comfort zone or fear. It can also be an external thing—family, friends or other people telling you, “you can’t.”

To give yourself a chance to achieve all of the wonderful things in life. You must choose to overcome resistance, such as fear, self-doubt and the un-enlightens.  They are the causes that cripple most people, don’t let that happen to you.

Get yourselves into the right frame of mind, have a good attitude and stay focus on your goal. At time it might feel scary, the feeling of out of control…like a free fall. And you may wish to go back to what was familiar. However, you must remember that if you turn back you will stay the same. This little bit of un-comfortableness is what it is going to take to push you over the top.

Allow yourselves to do some free falling and trust that you will always land on your feet. Some things in life you can only find out the result by diving in. Go give free falling a try, or you will never know what you can become?

Robin says: 26 August 2009 - 3:44 am

Hi Giovanna - your opening statement caught my attention. I think all of the worthwhile things I have done threw up huge challenges - I think this is the way it works… by following our passion, anything that is holding us back comes to the surface so it can be healed, and does it ever! The trick is to recognise this is happening, and find ways to deal with the problems, rather than stop doing the thing.Thanks for this discussion!

Papa Djembé says: 26 August 2009 - 7:38 am

True :)

That’s why I accepted to co-operate in a huge translation project of a purification plant of over 85.000 words today even though I’m no insider of purification plant technology… -

Keep goin’ on and keep me up-to-date, dear Gio - take care, big hugs by

“Papa Djembé”

J.D. Meier says: 26 August 2009 - 9:02 am

I like your point how resistance tests us.

Also, great reminder of using your frame of mind as a key tool for staying on track.

Positively Present says: 26 August 2009 - 12:35 pm

Great post! I love the way you’ve used the concept of free falling here. You need to listen to Tom Petty’s “Free Fallin’”! :)

Ashley says: 26 August 2009 - 1:03 pm

I love this post :) Especially when you say how it’s going to be uncomfortable at times, but if you don’t step out of that comfort, you won’t change.

Tess The Bold Life says: 26 August 2009 - 5:08 pm

I’m struggling with weight training. I need to free fall! Augggh!

Deanna Finlinson says: 26 August 2009 - 10:39 pm

What a great post. How often do we let other people talk us out of things that we really should be doing for our best interest, but we let the nay sayers tell us that “you can not do that”. Thanks for the kick in the but to get us on the right track.

Hilary says: 27 August 2009 - 4:42 am

Hi Gio .. as always to the point. We all hit resistance and we just need to jump the hoop and keep going .. the commitment is as you say the easy bit to sign up to .. actually doing the commitment is another story. I’m trying to overcome those barriers now - just been somewhat slow .. but started tired, not sure that’s a good reason .. but I just feel it. However last quarter of the year - time for the rubber or flesh to hit the tracks again and keep ahead or get well on the road again.

Thanks for the memory jogger ..
all the best Hilary Melton-Butcher

jonathanfigaro says: 28 August 2009 - 9:43 am

Making the decision to pursue a certain desire is the first step to goal achievement. What stops most people is the resistance they receive one the commitment is made. Few fail to realize resistance is the pre-requisite to goal achievement. If resistance wasn’t a factor then Michael Jordan wouldn’t of been so succesful. We should apprecate reistance becomes it creates thick skin while shaping our minds to become more durable.

Dan and Deanna Finlinson says: 28 August 2009 - 6:48 pm

Thank you jonathanfigaro that is a great way of putting it. If we do not have the resistance than we are on the wrong road to our goals or coasting- which means we are falling behind. Great post Giovanna.

Vincent says: 29 August 2009 - 12:15 am

Imperfect action is better than no action. Those are some wise words. Most people suffer from analysis paralysis and they want to wait for everything to fall in place before taking action. That is why they always never take any action! Nothing is going to be be prepared nicely beforehand for you but you will need to take action regardless of that.

Cheer,
Vincent

Stephen - Rat Race Trap says: 29 August 2009 - 8:34 am

Giovanna, I love the title and I love the picture and I love the message. Great job!

Paul Maurice Martin says: 31 August 2009 - 6:18 pm

When I first committed myself to a routine that was consciously constructive and positive it took a lot of effort. Over time, it took less and less. Eventually I was pretty much just doing the stuff I wanted to do! My immediate feelings changed for the better.

Giovanna Garcia says: 31 August 2009 - 10:10 pm

Hi Robin,
Well said, my friend.
Thanks for your comment and sharing your wisdom. You have added more to this post.

Giovanna Garcia says: 31 August 2009 - 10:13 pm

Hi Papa Djembe
How are you my friend? It is so great to see you here. :-) Congrate on the Huge Translation project! I am so happy for you.
You and I will both keep going and moving forward.
Thanks for your support.

Giovanna Garcia says: 31 August 2009 - 10:15 pm

I couldn’t agree with you more…frame of mind is so important, often time it is the key to a person’s success or failure.
Thanks for your comment and joining the conversaton.

Giovanna Garcia says: 31 August 2009 - 10:17 pm

Hi Positively Present,
I love the song Free Fallin. I saw Tom Petty and that was my favorite act.
Thanks for your comment and sharing your thought.

Giovanna Garcia says: 31 August 2009 - 10:19 pm

Hi Ashle,
I am so glad you love this post. :-) Cheers to getting more comfortable in stepping out of our comfort zone.
Thanks for your support.

Giovanna Garcia says: 31 August 2009 - 10:21 pm

Hi Tess,
My dear friend I know that you know that, whenever you want to stop struggling. It will no longer be a struggle.
Thanks for sharing your thougths with me.

Giovanna Garcia says: 31 August 2009 - 10:22 pm

Hi Deanna,
I am glad you like this post.
Listen to people are good as long as you are listening to the right people. :-) Stay on track and keep moving forward.

Giovanna Garcia says: 31 August 2009 - 10:25 pm

Hi Hilary,
Keep looking ahead and keep taking little steps. It doesn’t matter how long it took as long as you get there in your own term.
Thanks for sharing your journey with me.

Giovanna Garcia says: 31 August 2009 - 10:37 pm

Hi Jonathanfigaro,
Well said, my friend.
Reistance is a gift that we have to apprecate, it is what makes a winner.
Thanks for your support.

Giovanna Garcia says: 31 August 2009 - 10:38 pm

Hi Vincent,
Amen my friend, you are my kind of people. :-) Cheers to living perfectly imperfect!

Giovanna Garcia says: 31 August 2009 - 10:39 pm

Hi Stephen,
Thanks for the kind words. :-) Your support means alot to me.

Giovanna Garcia says: 31 August 2009 - 10:48 pm

Hi Paul,
You are spot on! The point is to to take the effort long enough, so that it can become a way of life. :-) Thanks for your comment and sharing your wisdom.

Chris Edgar | Purpose Power Coaching says: 3 September 2009 - 9:57 am

Hi Giovanna — that’s an important thing to remember, that no matter what goal we’re trying to accomplish, our minds are always going to come up with reasons why it won’t work. When we see this, I think, we understand that it’s not that we’ve made a bad choice of goals at all — the resistance comes from inside us.

Ricardo Bueno says: 5 September 2009 - 7:28 pm

Sometimes, you just gotta go all out! Easy to say I know, but really, with the right mindset, it’s also kinda easy to do.

I have three guiding principles: 1.) Clear Goals, 2.) Hard Work, and 3.) Unwavering Focus. If I go day by day with those, the rest kinda just falls into place…

Susan says: 8 September 2009 - 1:49 pm

Great article! We will never be perfect so start pursuing dreams and goals today!

What else are we waiting for right…?

Quit Smoking Today. | Quit Smoking Guide says: 8 September 2009 - 9:01 pm

[...] Choose to Free Fall. (imperfectaction.com) [...]

Giovanna Garcia says: 9 September 2009 - 12:50 pm

Hi Chris,
Most things in our life does come from within ourselves. That is true for the good and the bad…
Thank you for your comment and sharing your wisdom.

Giovanna Garcia says: 9 September 2009 - 12:55 pm

Hi Ricardo,
Great to see you my friend.
I love your 3 guiding principles. :-)
Thank you for your comment and sharing your wisdom with me.

Giovanna Garcia says: 9 September 2009 - 1:14 pm

Hi Susan,
I like what you said, “What else are we waiting for!” That is a wise question, my friend.
Thank you for your comment and sharing your wisdom.
Imperfect Action is better than No Aciton