What is your title?

Book Title

Book Title

I have been here a little less than usual. As most of you know I have been working on my book. Recently, after finishing the first draft. I begin the process of rewriting, then came making the final decision of the title for the book.

A title for the book, sounds simply enough…why does it keeps me up at night for the last 3 weeks? How do you summarize: 100 women’s life, the stories, wisdom and the golden lessons; all into merely 3 to 4 words that embodies the essence of the 200 pages.

Let’s see what Award winning Australian Author Cheryl Wright from Cheryl-wright.com have to say about book title:

Titles are extremely important to your story. So important, they will often mean the difference between selling or not.

It’s okay to have a weak or unrelated ‘working title’ ­ but that’s as far as it should go. The minute you have an appropriate catchy title, change it. Not only on your ms, but also in your mind. When I wrote “Saving Emma,” it had a horrid working title. “Undercover Love” was never a favorite of mine, but it would do until I could find something better. As I wrote the second last chapter, part of the dialogue talked about the main protagonist ’saving Emma’ from certain death. In that unforgettable moment, the title jumped off the pages and into my brain.

Not only did my whole outlook on this book change, but it also changed in the minds of editors and publishers.

As “Undercover Love” I’d submitted the book to several publishers and had nothing but rejections. And not even personal rejections; I got form letter ‘dear writer’ rejections.

When the title changed, the responses also changed. I began to get bites and requests. Despite the fact that the story itself was unaltered, editors became interested.

All this because of a title change?

Well, yes. Titles are extremely important.

To get an idea of how much difference a title really can make, take a look at these examples of title changes:

§  Tomorrow is Another Day ­ – Gone with the Wind

§  John Thomas & Lady Jane – ­ Lady Chatterly’s Lover

§  Something that Happened – ­ Of Mice and Men

§  Blossom and the Flower  – Peyton Place

Sometimes it’s just a matter of tweaking your title slightly. For instance, one of my works-in-progress was called “Into the Arms of a Stranger.” I hated the title, despised it in fact, until I shortened it. “Arms of a Stranger” is a much better title, and has more appeal than the longer version.

Following are just a handful of titles I’ve started with, and then changed for the better:

§  Poison Ivy -  The Rubber Ducky Killer

§  The Flight – ­ The First Flight

§  The Gym – ­ Mystery at Joe’s Gym

§  First Person Point of View – ­ Me, Myself & I: Writing First Person POV

§  Finding Ideas – ­ Today I Witnessed a Story

The above information came from Sellingbooks.com of Do You Judge a Book by its Title?

All of this also makes me wonder, “Can you summarize one year of your life? What 3 to 4 words would you use? What is your title?

Robin says: 1 October 2009 - 1:42 am

Hi Giovanna - I am always thinking up names for things that don’t exist, and struggling to find names for things that do exist. It isn’t easy! Thanks for the material you presented here - I found it really interesting.

Positively Present says: 1 October 2009 - 4:44 am

Really great post, Giovanna! You’ve really made me think and I’m going to give some thought to what my title would be…

Hilary says: 1 October 2009 - 9:46 am

Hi Gio .. can’t think right now .. but I did come across a blog recently .. which had the mnemonic: Hey! you! See? So…
when writing an article: the blog is

the Hey! - grabs the reader’s attention. I’ve tried to do that with my blog - each post -

right now - I’m brain dead .. Roots of Life? not good .. but a thought .. not for either of us ..

Must plod on .. rather more on my plate than I care to think about - including helping you dear friend move nearer a title ..

Brilliant - look forward to it .. cheers! Hilary

Daphne @ Joyful Days says: 1 October 2009 - 8:42 pm

I really like the real-life examples about great books and their original titles. Wow, maybe I should re-name my blog now!

Dan and Deanna Finlinson says: 1 October 2009 - 10:24 pm

Hello Giovanna,

Titles of any kind can make the difference between success and failure. That is the thing that grabs the attention to what it is, a book title, the name of a website, a business name, a domain name. The list can go on and on. You are so right about how important it is.

Daphne we love the name of your blog. Everyone wants to have joyful days. You come up with ways to help others have just that. We would like to see you keep it.

Chris Edgar says: 3 October 2009 - 11:07 am

Thanks for this Giovanna. When I think about how I came up with the title of my book, I realize it just came from the title of a series of blog posts I wrote called “Inner Productivity.” Choosing that name seemed easy — maybe because I came up with it in the context of something I saw as “low-pressure” like blogging as opposed to sitting there with an empty whiteboard saying “okay, I need a catchy, super-selling title!” But then again, I don’t have a #1 NYT bestseller (yet).

Giovanna Garcia says: 8 October 2009 - 7:04 pm

Hi Robin,
You are a very creative being. :-) I have a feeling ti di a brian strom with you would be a lot of fun.
Thanks for your comment and sharing your thoughts.

Giovanna Garcia says: 8 October 2009 - 7:10 pm

Hi Positively Present,
I am glad this post gave you something to think about ;-) Thanks for your comment and joining the conversation.

Giovanna Garcia says: 8 October 2009 - 7:23 pm

Hi Hilary,
Thank you for your help. I am so bless to have people who care around me. :-) I have finially decided and I do feel good about it.
Thanks for your comment and your support.

Giovanna Garcia says: 8 October 2009 - 7:30 pm

Hi Daphne,
I love your bolg’s name. I think it is perfect! :-) Thanks for your comment and being a part of this post.

Giovanna Garcia says: 8 October 2009 - 7:58 pm

Hi Dan & Deanna,

Yes, you are so right about how important a name is for a book, web site, business name …” I am happy to share with you that I have decided.
Time can only tell.

Giovanna Garcia says: 8 October 2009 - 8:08 pm

Hi Chris,

One day, you and I will both have the #1 NYT bestseller. :-) I am so blessed to have support from great people like you.
Thanks for your comment and sharing your wisdom.

Car insurance claims >> http://onlinecarinsuranceclaims.com/ says: 23 November 2009 - 1:30 pm

[...]imperfectaction.com is another useful source of information. Online Car insurance claims [...]