Caught in white lies.

When I was 11 years old my daily routine was to go to school, come home for two hours by myself to do homework, and then go work at my family’s business before coming home late at night with my parents to finish up whatever homework I had left. During those two hours when I was home alone, the last thing I wanted to do was homework! To me it was more fun to play and I could always do my homework that night. If I had to stay up extra late to do homework and was tired the next day, it didn’t hurt anyone but myself, so I figured it was okay. When my parents asked me if I did my homework during my two hours off, I’d lie and say, “Yes, of course!”

At some point, I realized I could have a few friends come over while I was home alone and no one would know as long as we cleaned up the house after we were done playing. So I did this several times and everything seemed great. That is until my mother came home one night and found that her favorite watch was missing. The watch was a gift my father had given to her when they were young, and it had cost him very much to buy it at the time. I knew how much it meant to my mother and I was mortified when I realized that one of my little friends must have stolen it earlier that day while we were playing hide and go seek.

My mother started asking me questions and my father joined in. I’d already trapped myself with my little white lies and I began to cover up everything with even more white lies by saying I didn’t know where the watch was. My parents knew something was up, though, and before long the jig was up. I had to tell my parents that I had been having friends over. I had to tell them I was lying about doing my homework every day. More and more little white lies came to the surface, and when I told my parents that one of my friends must have stolen the watch, they didn’t believe me. They figured that I had been playing with the watch and carelessly lost it, or that I had given it to one of my friends. They didn’t believe me because I had been caught in a lie, and that was the first time I learned the importance of integrity.

My father has always said, a person’s word is their worth. I heard him say it, even as a little girl, but it had never struck me as the absolute truth before. I realized then, when you’re a person who lies, no one will believe you, even when you are telling the truth.

So, I stood there, trying to figure out how I could get the watch back, but my parents wouldn’t help because they didn’t believe me. I felt horrible about the watch being gone, but I felt even worse realizing that my word was worthless. On that very day I decided I would always make sure there was meaning in my word. I knew if I lied, I was worthless.

Imperfect Action is better than No Action.

White lies

White lies

Dan and Deanna Finlinson says: 21 October 2009 - 9:20 pm

Hello Giovanna,

It is hard to come back from that but it can be done, if it is not done again. The trust needs to be earned back. So many lessens are learned the hard way. This one is very important. Honesty with ourselves and with others helps us to live a better life. We do not have to try to remember what we have said before to cover up the lies. My memory is not that good.

Mark Foo | 77SuccessTraits.com says: 22 October 2009 - 5:12 am

“Almost any difficulty will move in the face of honesty. When I am honest I never feel stupid. And when I am honest I am automatically humble.” - Hugh Prather

Lies and dishonesty will be exposed over time. When exposed, you’ll lose your credibility and put a stigma on your reputation, which it will be extremely difficult for you to restore.

Being honest will help you gain support, respect, and credibility, which are some of the crucial elements that will determine your success.

Cheers~

Mark

Giovanna Garcia says: 22 October 2009 - 7:55 am

Hi Dan & Deanna,
I like what you said about, “When we lie, we have to tell more lies to cover up our lies…” So true. Life is much more simple when we just tell the true.
Thanks for your comment and sharing your thoughts.

Giovanna Garcia says: 22 October 2009 - 8:00 am

Hi Mark,
It is always the best policy to tell the tell. :-) Thanks for your comment and sharing your wisdom.

Chris Edgar | Purpose Power Coaching says: 22 October 2009 - 2:26 pm

I agree that integrity is important, and I also think it’s a good idea to look at the kind of fears that motivate us to lie. If we find ourselves lying, I think, it’s often because we’re trying not to repeat some moment of past hurt, whether physical or emotional. And to look at those fears, we need to have some compassion for ourselves.

Hilary says: 23 October 2009 - 9:05 am

Hi Gio .. the way you’ve told that story really hits home. The simplest is to tell the truth and nothing else, then we can’t be caught out .. but how often do we all do it?

It’s better to face facts and be true to oneself, ones’ friends and family than to dig great holes to fall into.

Thanks for reminding us - white lies or any lies are a No No ..

Mark says: 23 October 2009 - 2:07 pm

You learned a very valuable lesson early on that stuck with you and brought you to where you are today. In the end the watch was a small price to pay for such a great lesson.

Robin says: 26 October 2009 - 3:01 am

Hi Giovanna - these are really good points. I have a girlfriend who tends to make things up - even when it isn’t necessary. It hasn’t been a huge problem to me - I just assume anything she tells me may not be true. It has affected our relationship, though, nowadays I just can’t be bothered discussing things with her, which is a shame.

Nithya says: 26 October 2009 - 3:40 pm

Hi, Giovanna,
Great to see you blog. Keep it up.
I came across a great book called “Living Enlightenment”. You should read it. I don’t think, I have seen another book like this. You will like this. I will give the site also.

Global Patriot says: 28 October 2009 - 9:14 am

Once you break that bond of trust, it’s hard to get it back. Even the smallest indiscretion, if found out, will cast a shadow on all you say and do in the future.

J.D. Meier says: 1 November 2009 - 11:42 pm

> a person’s word is their worth.
I like that a lot. It’s sticky and precise.

Arswino @ Inspirational Quotes says: 3 November 2009 - 12:37 am

Someone is respected from his attitude and trustworthiness.
Thanks for reminding, Giovanna. :)

Sunny Jamiel says: 7 November 2009 - 4:31 am

Gio,

A valuable lesson indeed. Thanks for sharing with us.

Spencer says: 9 November 2009 - 8:34 pm

Life has a powerful way of giving us lessons that stick with us for ever. Even a little white lie can damage trust and character beyond repair. It is always better to be hones in everything we do.

I have a friend who I trust with my life. He has the highest of character. Often times I have heard him say to other people, “Always tell the truth, there is less to remember that way.”

Thanks for a wonderful blog.

Hilary says: 20 November 2009 - 2:08 pm

Hi Gio .. I hope things are progressing happily with you and the projects - friends are true.

Giovanna Garcia says: 23 November 2009 - 3:49 pm

Hi Chris,

I love what you said, “we need to give ourself compassion”.
Thanks for your comment and sharing your wisdom.

Giovanna Garcia says: 23 November 2009 - 3:56 pm

Hi Hilary,

Isn’t it funny.. how we all know a thing or two about “digging a great hole to fall into”. :-) Yes, keep it simple. Tell the true!

Giovanna Garcia says: 23 November 2009 - 4:04 pm

Hi Mark,
I agree with you, looking back…I would gladly pay the price of 10 watches for the lesson I did learn from it.
Thanks for your comment and sharing your thoughts.

Giovanna Garcia says: 23 November 2009 - 4:14 pm

Hi Robin,
I hope your girlfriend will learn the lesson about telling the true sometime soon. Her life will be better for it. :-) Thanks for your comment and sharing your story.

Giovanna Garcia says: 23 November 2009 - 4:20 pm

Hi Nithya,

Thank you for your comment and kind words.

Giovanna Garcia says: 23 November 2009 - 4:31 pm

Hi Mark @ Global Patriot

I agree with you even the smallest lies will still cast a huge shadow.
Thanks for your comment and sharing your word of wisdom.

Giovanna Garcia says: 23 November 2009 - 4:40 pm

I am glad you like that saying, “your word is your worth.”
It is one of the best lessons I learned from my father.

Giovanna Garcia says: 23 November 2009 - 4:55 pm

Hi Arswino,

I am glad you enjoyed this post.
Thanks stopping by.

Giovanna Garcia says: 23 November 2009 - 5:01 pm

Hi Sunny,
Indeed that one little lesson was a amazing gift I have recieved in my life time.
Thanks for sharing your thought.

Giovanna Garcia says: 23 November 2009 - 7:26 pm

Hi Spencer,

I agree with you and your friend, it is so much easier to tell the true…
Thanks for your comment and sharing your story.

Sarah says: 2 March 2010 - 8:55 am

I have liar and stole in the past but now I’m trying to regain respect and trust from my boyfriends kids cuz they are bitter and it’s understandable I know it will take time but whAt are ways I can show or tell them I can be trusted and respected?